The PTO funds Enrichment activities for Highcrest students through donations to the IGNITE campaign.
Enrichment programs for 5th and 6th graders aim to enhance curriculum based learning, build skills that drive characteristics of successful learners and promote social and emotional awareness. Each grade typically benefits from participating in 6 to 7 enrichment programs per school year. Students attend both in-school programs such as motivational speakers, science and math demonstrations, and social studies programs as well as field trips outside of the school.
iGNITE donations from parents in 2018/19 will enable 5th and 6th grade students to participate in the following enrichment programs…
- Lloyd Bachrach ‘Yes You Can’ Assembly- 9/7/18
- Think Kindness Assembly – 10/30/18
- Museum of Science and Industry field trip- 1/10/19 and 1/11/19
- Misercordia Program- 2/1/19
- IL Holocaust Museum field trip- 3/4/19- 3/7/19
- Climate Assembly with Joey FineRhyme- 4/11/19
- Solar Panels program- 5/9/19 and 5/10/19
- Civil Rights Speaker Joyce Henderson
- Night Sky Viewing- 9/20/18
- Heller Nature Center Team Building field trip- 10/29/19- 11/2/19
- Mike Byster’s Brainetics- 1/22/19 and 1/23/19
- Mr. Freeze Science Demonstration Assembly- 2/1/19
- Comedy Sportz Chicago Assembly- 4/15/19 and 4/16/19
- IL Holocaust Museum field trip- 5/6/19 – 5/9/19
Ignite funds are also allocated to the World Language and Academic Strategies classes. World Language and Academic Strategies teachers use these funds in a variety of way, including cultural celebrations in the classroom and the purchase of enrichment-related resources for their classes.
The Outdoor Classroom is also sponsored through PTO Enrichment. Ignite donations help maintain our beautiful prairie garden as a vibrant hands-on learning classroom as well as a peaceful place to study or hang out during recess.
Our Environmental Awareness committee also receives support from Ignite donations. Recently, they successfully eliminated plastic water bottles from our cafeteria and led a major plastic bag recycling effort in a TREX challenge.